How the service worksThe sitting service provides, with the help of volunteers, practical and emotional help for carers to enable carers to have a break from their caring role.
What we can do
The role of the volunteer is to:
- provide the social and emotional support of a friend by visiting weekly or fortnightly depending on what you want
- offer companionship.
- All volunteers are interviewed, have references taken and are CRB checked to enhanced level.
- The volunteers do not do any personal care, nursing care or lifting. They are there as a friend.
- The volunteers responsibility is to look after the older person, giving the same care as a relative or friend.
- Some volunteers choose to use their own cars to take people out, to do this we ensure that the volunteer has notified their car insurers to cover them for this type of activity.
- The volunteer does not replace the duties carried out by the statutory services.
For further information contact Ryedale Carers Support on 01751 432288
What will it cost?
There is no charge for this service. Ryedale Carers Support reimburses the volunteer for any out of pocket expenses such as petrol costs. If you would like to make a donation please speak to a member of staff or go to Make a Donation.
Return to 'Our Services'
"The volunteer is a real friend to my mother who very much enjoys her visits. This takes some pressure off me."
"The visits give me a break so that I can call and see friends."
"Having a volunteer has allowed me to have time to myself to do jobs I would otherwise be unable to do."
"My volunteer was reliable, cheerful and a tonic - I
felt Dad was in good hands. Having a volunteer gave me an essential
break from caring and time to relax."